CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

What makes you...

...an adult? I was thinking about this when I was ironing my shirt yesterday. It was like, as I was standing there, I just realized that I was an adult...but what qualifies me as one? To be perfectly honest, I don't feel any different than I was when I was a teenager...I know I do have a different decision making process now, and I'm way fatter than I was back then...but that's about it. I just saw myself from high school to college, college to working, and working to marriage....which isn't a bad thing, but I mean, at the risk of sounding really trite, it went by way faster than I thought it would.


I don't quite know what I expected to happen inside...I guess I just thought that something would click over, and I'd be an adult...and I suppose it did, but it just didn't happen the way I thought it would. I'm happy, I'm have a decent job...I'm very happily married...things are good. Better than good...but thinking of myself as an adult is weird. Very weird. I just thought I would be more, I dunno, old. I thought the things I like would change drastically, or that I'd start watching amc all the time...or that I'd drink tea every morning...not that amc and tea are bad things, or that they are only for old people...does anyone know what I'm talking about?


Be Safe or Be Smitten...

3 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I can totally dig this. I know exactly what you mean - lol. I have these epiphanies alll the time.

EDE said...

Yes, I know what you're talking about ;) I was thinking about the very same thing Saturday morning. All of sudden I became very depressed and could not snap out of it. There are soooo many things I would do differently, but we can't go back in time. I can only make a conscientious decision to make better decisions going forward.

I really miss being a kid and living at home on Carpenter. I wasn't all bad and I totally realized that Saturday morning. I miss my parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I miss sitting on the front porch and catching up on the neighborhood gossip. I miss helping my mom cook in the kitchen and running errands with her. I miss helping my dad fix things around the house.

I also miss when there was three of us. I don't think I'm adjusting well to being an empty nester ;)

Nina said...

i understand what you mean. the respect level is different though. from when i was a teenager to an adult. wait, am i an adult? when i ask these questions because i still look the same as i did when i was 16 (and yes, i'm way fatter, too...lol but not)...i always ask these questions: am i self-sufficent? am i able to think and act on my own? am i able to make informed decisions? am i responsible for my own life? i always thought there would be a moment...like...yes.kiwasabi...you're grown now...nope,all i got was bills..lol