CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 18, 2008

More Kicks than Karate

I know I introduced this idea like a blog or so ago, but I am indeed a sneakerhead. I don't take that title to the full degree, I don't spend my rent money on kicks, but i have been known to overspend on shoes...like I remember one time I went out to pick up one pair that I pre-paid for...that day I left with nine pair. I bought eight pairs that I didn't plan on buying. That's bad, isn't it? But is this bad?


I have tons of shoes, and I have at least two pictures of every shoe I have, and that doesn't include group shots. So overall, I probably have at least 180 pictures of my own personal sneakers. Why would I need these? Inventory for one...for two, comparing my collection with others. The sneakerworld is very competetive. I've been to the DunkXchange twice, both times it's been to Chicago, and I wanted to see what other people were getting and wearing so I could see what I should be buying.



I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't buy shoes to make others happy, but I do want to impress my peers by my level of exclusiveness and the "OMG where did you find THAT!" factor. That is one of the main driving forces behind a sneakerhead...making other sneakerheads jealous. But the jealousy is always positive; it isn't a hating group. It's more like, "OOhhhh, damn! Aren't those the Internet only versions?" We just look at it, and try to take our game to the next level.

Now this guy on the left, he was on CNBC. He's from Chicago, has a MASSIVE collection...most of his shoes are worth hundreds to thousands of dollars...the shoe that the kid is holding? 2 grand easy. He flies to different cities just to buy shoes. It is a super lifestyle choice for him. He even has a barbershop that is dedicated to kicks.




Should I be taking pictures of my shoes like they are kids? I mean, I really love sneakers, and I love the attention they draw; but dude, I've got tons of pictures devoted to kicks...but I have never taken a picture of my parents! Is that nuts? I love my parents, but I remember what they look like...and I'm not gonna go to my boy and say, "Man, my '63 Dad is way better than your '67 Dad..." I mean, as a culture, how can we compare collections without doing events and taking pictures? I'm not trying to justify it, i'm just wondering if this is weird to anyone...






...just let me know.





Be Safe or be Smitten,
Chris







0 comments: