CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day

Thanks Eb the Celeb for giving me the courage to drop this out there…


Father’s day has come and gone, and I tried my very best this year to let my Dad know that I really care about him, love him, and respect him. Now as charming as I am in person, and as eloquent as I am on this site…I can never find the right way to voice my true emotions to my father. I think it’s because I get nervous…really nervous. Now, it’s not because I’m scared, it’s not because I think he’ll say something to me that I don’t want to hear…it’s really because I know how my father is…

My father is a man that is big on principle. He respects words, but he respects actions more…he’s kinda old-school in that way, but honestly, if more people were like that, it’d be a better world…but because of this, I feel like the only true way for him to know how I feel is to show him; I just haven’t quite figured out the best way to do that yet. I try to live independently, I try to be the best man I can be…I use the tools of manhood that he gave me, instilled in me, and helped develop in me. It’s…it’s, it’s hard. It’s hard to tell someone that you really care about and honor how much they mean to you; especially when all they hear is about the hurts that they have caused…but that happens. People tend to overlook the good because the bad is so much more lucid in your memories. I remember all the times he tried to teach me how to play baseball effectively…even though I really didn’t like it. I remember when he would take me to an open field and fly kites with me…How many people have done that in my age group? And I NEVER see people doing that anymore…I remember playing catch with my dad, playing basketball with my dad, playing video games with my dad, working on cars with my dad, hearing him give me awesome gems of info like, “You’ll always save money by learning how to do something yourself, as long as you do it right.” I love him for that, I’d kill people for disrespecting that…

I Love My Father; and I really hope he knows this…I do. I know my life with him wasn’t all bad, it wasn’t all punishments and discipline, even though that’s all I tend to focus on. I know this; and me thanking him for who he was, who he is, and the growth that has taken place let me know that I can always learn, always change, and still be looked at with respect…because knowing that he has never stopped learning made me realize that I never will either; and being able to adapt and change is one of the biggest parts of being a man. Being able to realize when you are wrong is a huge part of being a man. Knowing that your family is as important, no, more important than yourself…sacrificing your comfort to make sure your wife and son are able to enjoy life just a little bit more…that’s what makes a man. Not the women slept with, not the money made, not how big or strong…not what you know or who you know…it’s about who you are, and what people will say about who you are. Being a man of principle does that. It lets people know who you are based on your actions and responses; it makes trust possible…because at the end of the day, you are the only one that has to atone for your sins…and that’s what my father made sure I understood as well…I am the one who has to pay for what I’ve done; but I also have to remember that everything I do is a reflection on my family as well…

It’s hard. It’s hard to balance all of these things and still be a fun, interesting, playful, insightful, and relaxed person…but my father has been and is all of these things. I know there are hundreds of thousands of things I can sit here and write…but the main thing I wanted to get across is that I love my dad, and I always will. With no clauses or exceptions.

As always,

Be Safe or Be Smitten.

1 comments:

Liz said...

well put...