CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where are we?

I have to let you know right now...this is not an attack; I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK...


...but what happen to people talking about something in Hip-Hop/Rap? Or even urban music in general? I look at my Ipod, and I notice that I have the same artists over and over...because the genres as a whole are filled with people who have a love for money, not for the art. There aren't many true musicians, true songwriters, true dreamers out there...I mean, you have your Kanye, Pharrell, Timbaland, Lupe and what not...but I mean, again, I'm not attacking...but as clever as Wayne is...he really isn't saying anything...listen; I mean REALLY REALLY listen. Yeah, he has talent, but what is he saying? Nothing.

So maybe you want to come at me because I like the Clipse, right? They talk about cocaine...because they either have, or are currently selling...cocaine. Their gma sold coke...it was a family thing. So they rap what they know. The Cool Kids...as arrogant as they are, they rap what they know; Lupe...raps what he knows. Kanye...raps what he knows. What is it that Wayne is rapping about? He's been rich since he was 14. So maybe he had it hard up to...12, then he started kicking it with the "major players" in the N.O. They got him into rapping...I mean, his first real experience with a gun he shot himself. Is that hood? Is that gangsta?


Like I said, I'm not hating, but listen, then think...I mean, Lupe can rap all punchlines...Clipse has some of the best punchlines I've ever heard...there are cats walking around Chicago right now that can't spit punchline rap until they pass out...but Wayne is the greatest alive? Come on. Jay-Z on the "I know" track kills that chance by itself; rapping from the vantage point of heroin? I mean, Lupe spit from the viewpoint of a cheeseburger...that isn't hot?

I dunno...maybe it's partially the fans fault. I mean, you have artists out there like Kenna and Pharrell's group N.E.R.D. which is where our music should be heading...but no one is accepting it the way it should be accepted. That isn't selling 900,000 copies in one week...little kids aren't singing "Say Goodbye to Love" they are buying Soulja Boy ringtones...I don't get it.

Maybe I'm harsh; my grandpa is a musician, my dad is a musician, my friends are into music one way or another...so maybe I have a better understanding on how hard it is to do a lot of things that some of these cats do...and I guess that is how I know how easy it was to make "Get Silly".

Maybe I'm old; maybe I'm a hater...I don't know...but I know one thing, I'm not claiming 90% of the bull$h^# that is out here when my kids start asking me about it. I'll play them Spaceship and Run to the Sun...I'll play them Dumb it Down and I'm Mikey...I'll play them Keys Open Doors and Out of Control...

Hell, I'll let them listen to Sara Bareilles or Feist...Panic at the Disco. That's what I'll play...or Kidz in the Hall...or anything but Lil' Boosey; isn't he like 50?

I don't get it, but I guess I'm not suppose to.

Be Safe or Be Smitten!


I'll leave you with this video...

Kidz in the Hall

3 comments:

LovexHate said...

I totally feel you on the whole same artist thing on your ipod because mines beginning to be the same. I see myself being more interested in older songs because the newer ones aren't capturing my attention no more. I think the beauty of music is that it caters to everyone, so if u dont like something u can just go find somethin else.

Your music taste is on point though, like all the artists u've mentioned. So glad u shouted out Kenna tho, 'cause over here I dont kno anyone who likes him lol. Say Goodbye To Love and Live and Flow are my tuuuunes! lol. The production is pure genius, it gets me hyper.

Its funny u posted this though because I had the same conversation with my friend but i was talkin about Teedra Moses. I LOVE her music but i dunno where shes at now :( being waiting near to 2 years for her next album.

Sorry.. this comment turned into an essay :p

Muze said...

oh yeah, i TOTALLY understand.

as someone with three younger siblings that have an unhealthy obsession with BET, i have seen and heard a good amount of what is out right now, and it's all hot, stanky, garbaaage.

like, for real.

and yes, lil wayne is clever. but i was listening to the lollipop remix with my little sister and i SWEAR he was just rambling whatever words rhymed together. i swear he was. then he wrapped it up with something that made sense at the end.

'better use that latex, cause you don't want that late text, that i think i'm late, text.'

now, that was clever. but all that ish he said before it? garbage.

whew i am on a mission to find all the GOOD music and put in in a time capsule for future generations so they won't think we were all 'supermanning' hoes and licking lollipops.

oh, and spaceship? STILL one of my favs. man i used to feel that song. whew.

sorry for the long comment. lol.

Jon Content said...

LISTEN TO MEE!!!!

shameless plug I know